Date: December 2, 2019
Participants: Carolyn Bach (Senior Manager, Librarian Relations and Faculty Programs), Autumn Boyer (Director of Segment Management), James Oakes (Segment Manager), Vani Ungapen (Executive Director, AALL) & Karen Provost (CRIV Board, LexisNexis Liaison)
Requests for Advocacy:
- Although there were no formal requests to CRIV, AmLaw 200 firms still question why they are unable to renew Law360, Courtlink, AmLaw products and print materials separately without subscribing to Lexis Advance. Here is the response from Lexis:
While we understand that firms initially had questions about how the products are related, Lexis has made substantial progress integrating the user experience across numerous products since 2018. As of today, LexisNexis Patent Optimizer®, Intelligize®, LexisNexis® Dossier, TotalPatent®, Nexis Diligence™, and Nexis Newsdesk™ have been moved off standalone platforms and on to the Lexis Advance® platform for single ID access, links between products, and back-office administration. Near-term plans include integration of CourtLink®, and Law360®, along with considerably more interconnectivity between products. Customers tell us that the Integration has materially improved their experience across products, rendering some former platforms unusable without integrated permalinks to Lexis Advance and other products. Customer feedback continues to drive our integration plans, and we encourage members to follow-up with their LexisNexis account representative with any questions regarding their firm’s specifics. Read more details on product integration in the section below.
- Integrating our products into a single platform to facilitate administrative convenience and research efficiency remains a top priority.
- In 2019 we concluded the legacy system decommissioning effort, and successfully integrated Patent Optimizer, Intelligize, Dossier, TotalPatent, Diligence, and Newsdesk into the Lexis Advance Platform. All of this allows users to seamlessly move between more products.
- In 2019 we upgraded the bulk of our CourtLink customers to the integrated Lexis Advance version, and the remaining customers with complex setups and custom integrations will be upgraded in 2020.
- In 2020, we plan to integrate Law360.
- Also in 2020, we plan to introduce to the Lexis Advance platform a web-based version of LexisNexis CaseMap® (currently software based). This will allow for significant integration between Lexis Advance and this trial management tool in the future.
- Streamlined Lexis Advance User Interface released in August 2019 increasing ease of use. Also included enhancements to filtering by court and relocation of Browse functionality to Explore Content with new Find a Source and Find a Topic tabs. The result is a streamlined home page that’s easier to navigate.
- Lexis Answers: We also continued to enhance our Lexis Answers offering, adding Expert Witness cards and providing links to CVs and other relevant materials including links to Context and Lex Machina in judge and expert witness answer cards where applicable.
- Ravel View enhancements: In early December, a visual refresh to Ravel View display on Lexis Advance that will improve accessibility for some visually impaired users and make the data and navigation easier.
- India and Malaysia primary law were added to Lexis Advance.
- Alerts Manager: first iteration released. This tool facilitates firm-wide alert and track management by firm Administrators across all Lexis Advance products.
- Lexis Advance CourtLink – initial wave of migrations from CourtLink to the Lexis Advance platform providing a more streamlined docket solution. This industry leading docket coverage and robust alerting and tracking are still key components of the tool and now it is easier to use and learn than ever before on the Lexis Advance platform – hopefully relieving some of the burden from information professionals by allowing attorneys and other researchers to use the product on their own without much in the way of special training.
- In Large Law, primary law materials accessed are now $0 from a billback perspective. This change was made based on customer feedback.
- The Court module was launched, building further on the Judge module, and allowing attorneys to understand which language is most persuasive in a given court, determine the success rate of over 100 types of motions by court, and more.
- Users can now share a summary version of the Context report with their clients, co-counsel, etc.
- The Company module is currently in early testing and will allow users to understand corporate structure, financials, leadership, news coverage, and litigation history in a single interface. This module will be attractive to both litigators and business development professionals.
Lexis Practice Advisor®:
- New practice areas including: Business Entities, Data Security and Privacy, Energy and Utilities, Financial Services Regulation, Insurance, Life Sciences, Private Equity & Investment Management, and Trusts and Estates.
- Evolving Guidance – Lexis Practice Advisor and Law360 have been integrated in an innovative and extremely useful way allowing attorneys and researchers to gain end-to-end coverage of editorially selected issues, from the first news stories to the relevant forms needed to practice law surrounding those issues.
- Deeper integration of Intelligize and LPA allows for “deal point” searching on substantive contract terms in M&A agreements.
- State Law Comparison Tool – updates and additions to the state law comparison tool continue.
- Expert forms on Lexis Practice Advisor are easier to export to Word and the alternate clauses and drafting notes our customers love now appear in-line in the document making them easier to understand and employ.
- Core Documents are now surfaced immediately in several practice areas, allowing users to quickly identify the most useful and most used forms, checklists, etc.
- Integration with Lexis Advance – access with Lexis Advance ID
- RSS Privatization and naming (Firm added RSS feeds visible to firm only)
- Ability to export Newsletters and share via other internal channels e.g. intranet
- Ability to receive newsletters through mobile app
- Sharing Newsletters externally (e.g. to a client) is now available via a subscription amendment
- Newsdesk Quick Search – new guided search template default for new users.
- New products and tools in development: Statutes Compare tool, a brief analysis tool, AI enabled research tools and forthcoming additions to Context These tools are all still in development and we look forward to sharing information with you about all of these and more in 2020.
LexisNexis, Lexis Advance, Lexis Practice Advisor, LexisNexis PatentOptimizer, TotalPatent, CaseMap and CourtLink are registered trademarks, and Nexis Diligence and Nexis Newsdesk are trademarks of RELX Inc. Intelligize is a registered trademark of Intelligize, Inc. Law360 is a registered trademark of Portfolio Media, Inc. Other products or services may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.