June 15, 2022
Michelle Hook Dewey, CRIV, Board Liaison (Mercer University Law Library)
Tom Hemstock, CRIV, Vendor Liaison (Albany Law School, Schaffer Law Library)
Mike Bernier, Bloomberg Law
Kristyn Hyland, Bloomberg Law
Vani Ungapen, ALL Executive Director
Current CRIV Member Issues with Bloomberg Law
Mike Bernier and Kristyn Hyland reported on updates and recent changes to Bloomberg Law.
- Bloomberg Law Continues to Enhance its Collection of Practitioner Tools. New content development in this category includes 325+ new Practical Guidance documents so far in 2022.
- New Tort Defenses Practical Guidance – a companion to our Tort Actions and Tort Damages and Relief coverage – including state-specific content for defenses to claims such as negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, defamation, and fraud.
- State Allocation of Liability Chart Practical Guidance, providing insight into a client’s level of risk in a negligence case. This chart quickly identifies the theories of liability applied by each state and DC.
Enhancements available in the Transactional Intelligence Center continue and now include:
- How to Use Transactional Tools & Features Practical Guidance designed to help lawyers unlock the value of our transactional tools and resources, including descriptions of how the tools work, common use cases, pro-tips, and more
- Marketing & Digital Rights Practical Guidance that provide sample language, drafting tips, and precedent searches to assist Bloomberg Law customers with drafting and negotiating common forms of marketing and engagement agreements that involve digital rights.
- Market-leading Bloomberg Law Dockets is a mainstay of Bloomberg Law’s litigation offering and has had several recent enhancements.
- Enhanced dockets search with new filtering options (Resolutions, Class Action, County Courts, and new CSV fields when downloading search results, e.g., nature of suit, cause of action)
- Enhancing dockets is a key priority for 2022 with more to come.
BOOKS & TREATISES
- Bloomberg Law will add 40+ new Books & Treatises in July from leading publishers including ABA and James, strengthening the litigation reference library. A MARC record update in July will cover the changes. Contact Matthew Newton (email@example.com or Mike Bernier (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be added to our MARC record update distribution list.
PRACTICE AREA COVERAGE
Bloomberg Law continues to strengthen practice area coverage with important enhancements.
Labor & Employment. More state coverage as a result of user feedback:
- Employment-at-will Chart Builder, 50-state coverage helping users answer specific questions with customized charts and topics
- Labor Laws: Public Sector Chart Builder, providing information on state provisions that apply to labor relations and collective bargaining between government employers and unions that represent employees in the public sector
- Tortious Interference in the Employment Context, including topical, state-by-state coverage
Environmental, Social, Governance
- Including new industry-specific ESG guidance including a Financial Services ESG Toolkit Practical Guidance and Technology Industry ESG Toolkit Practical Guidance added to coverage on the ESG practice page
Banking & Finance
- New Crypto news channel, providing coverage of legal, tax, and business developments in the world of digital currency
- State Digital Currency Chart Builder, updated to reflect a variety of regulatory schemes such as regulation as a security or a money transmission
- New and improved Federal Securities Class Action Tracker and Financial Technology Developments Tracker
- Redesigned practice group landing coming June 21.
- Ready-made OnPoints presentations on key tax developments are new, allowing practitioners to use and edit presentations on key tax developments.
LAW SCHOOL INNOVATION PROGRAM
Bloomberg Law has launched a law school innovation program to highlight innovative efforts to teach future lawyers.
Law School Innovation Program identifies and promotes law school programs that are helping students transition successfully to legal practice. Applications are now open and will close on 9/6/2022. Bloomberg Law’s law school representatives can answer any questions, and the organizers of the program will be at AALL.
Bloomberg Law will be present at AALL to highlight what’s new with Bloomberg Law and to answer any questions. Librarians wishing to sign up for time to meet with a representative of Bloomberg Law before the conference should reach out to Mike Bernier